Position: Investment Analyst
Location: Denver, CO
Reports To: Director of Investments
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Benefits: Enrollment in Watermark BCBS Health Insurance Plan, PTO, enrollment in Watermark AT&T phone plan or $50/month stipend, LTD insurance, term life insurance, company issued IT Equipment (laptop and monitors), company 401(K) including a 50% employer match up to 6% of employee’s salary. Opportunity for end of year bonus.
As a Watermark (WM) Analyst, you will be expected to assist in acquisition underwriting, deal due diligence, and a wide variety of analytical and reporting responsibilities to best maximize the creation of economic value of Watermark’s extensive real estate portfolio and pipeline. This role will be a vital part of the entire project lifecycle and primarily RESPONSIBLE for underwriting, research, financial tracking, and reporting to key internal and external stakeholders (including equity and debt partners) through a project’s lifecycle. Occasional travel to potential sites and active projects will be required.
Founded in 2013, Watermark has established itself as one of the most innovative end-to-end residential real estate developers in the country. Recognizing the limits of traditional multi-family and scattered site single-family home rental, Watermark has been a market trailblazer of what has come to be known as the “Build to Rent” movement. Build to Rent, a brand-new real estate asset class, recognizes the value of providing a single-family home with the flexibility and convenience of a multi-family lease.
We believe in something greater than ourselves. We exist to give—to cultivate. To create a new brand of real estate that gives residents a better place to live. A place to call home. To develop a new, wholistic standard of living. To not just fill units with tenants, but to cultivate a better life for residents.
Roles & Responsibilities
General Organizational Responsibilities –
- Assists in deal underwriting and evaluation of new Watermark opportunities
- Responsible for harvesting data so WM leadership can make data driven decisions and optimize economic performance of WM communities
- Coordinates with external partners data and analytics team
- Analyzes, captures, and shares resident demographic/ psychographic information
- Maintains a constructive and interactive relationship with project stakeholders, most commonly lending and equity partners, through the representation of WM’s Guiding Principles, in order to maximize their portfolio’s creation of economic value (Yield On Cost), positioning of assets, and positive impacts within the communities WM serves.
- Supports Investment Directors and all of their finance efforts
- Analyzes development performance relative to WM strategies, reviewing and suggesting recommendations with Investment Directors
Operations – Acquisition & Project Inception
- Assists Development Director in acquisitions due diligence, coordinates with WM Finance team and WM Operations teams to analyze proposed project
- Provides data insights to Investment Directors to help solidify strategy for maximizing community Yield on Cost (YOC), analyzing product type, unit mix, amenity package, etc.
- Assists in the compiling and analysis of market surveys, tax reports, 3rd party property management OpEx analysis and all other needed market research on WM acquisitions and populates information into shared folders with appropriate stakeholder when required
- Researches competition and is aware of market conditions
- Assists Investment Director in compiling and tracking all materials necessary to purchase and capitalize projects
Operations – Development Design Phase
- Assists with design efforts and strategy to maximize community Yield on Cost (YOC) by sharing analytics, data insights, and resident demographic/psychographic information with Investment Directors & Development Director
Operations – Development Execution Phase (Construction)
- Assists as needed with all ongoing financial and progress reporting during construction phase to all key stakeholders including sworn statements, equity partner reporting, lender reports, and capital partner modeling requests
Operations – Development Operational Phase (Asset Management
- Assists Investment Director in overseeing all Asset management/Property Management activities for assigned communities
- Assists Investment Directors in Asset’s income/expenses within Operational state, including all strategy and ongoing financial reporting during operations phase to all key stakeholders including, equity partner reporting, lender reports, and capital partner general relations
- Assists in the review and analysis of monthly property specific financial reports, providing recommendations for improvement when applicable
- Provides data insights to team members to generate WM’s project level revenue generating strategies, goals, and objectives.
Qualifications and Success Factors
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Real Estate or Business-related field
- Preferably 2+ years of experience in real estate finance and experience in financial modeling
- Highly proficient in Excel (pivot tables, lookups, etc) and Microsoft Suite.
- Quick thinker & learner with the ability to take on increasing responsibilities as we grow.
- Self-starter who possesses strong initiative and internal motivation.
- Solutions based problem solver who has a strong desire to tackle issues, working diligently to find solutions to any problems they identify.
- Team first mentality, desiring to collaborate and grow with a dynamic team.
- A passion for success, a positive and friendly attitude, and a consistent work ethic are all a must.